How to Power Wash Brick Patio
A brick patio can be a beautiful addition to your property, but over time it will need some care. One of the most common things you’ll want to do is power washing brick patio. Power washing is the process of using a high-pressure washer to clean surfaces. It can be used on a variety of surfaces, including brick, concrete, wood, and vinyl.
There are a few reasons why you might want to power wash your brick patio. First, it can help remove any built-up dirt or debris. Second, it can help restore the original color of the brick. Finally, it can help seal the brick and protect it from future staining.
When looking for a power washing service, be sure to ask about their experience with brick patios. They should also have the proper equipment, including a high-pressure washer, to get the job done right.
Once you have found a reputable service, they will likely provide you with a quote for the job. Be sure to ask about any additional costs, such as travel time or supplies.
Once you have agreed to terms and signed a contract, the power washing professionals will get to work. They will likely start with a walk around the bricks to determine the extent of the work. They will then begin cleaning and use brushes or other tools when necessary.
A power washer has two types of nozzles: low pressure and high-pressure. You should always use a high-pressure nozzle, which can be adjusted to control the amount of pressure being used.
Always check the pressure before starting on a brick patio, as it needs to be about 500 psi. You should also keep a safe distance between you and the power washer, which is typically 10 feet away from where you are standing.
If your bricks have previously been stained, it is a good idea to wait at least 30 days after power washing to apply new staining. This will allow the bricks time to dry, which will prevent any accidents during application of the stain. If your bricks look rough immediately after power washing, you can apply a mist coat of penetrating sealer that is tinted to match your desired color.
You should clean your brick patio on a regular basis to help maintain its appearance and prevent any major issues.
Tools you will need:
- High pressure washer (500 psi)
- Spray nozzle (Adjustable-pressure)
Steps for cleaning your brick patio:
- Determine the extent of the work that needs done.
- Put on protective gear, including goggles and gloves.
- Start power washing your brick patio with a high-pressure nozzle at about 500 psi. Keep a safe distance (10 feet) away from the power washer while spraying the bricks.
- Use brushes or other tools to get dirt off of hard to reach spots if necessary.
- Allow your bricks to dry before re-staining them.
- Apply a mist coat of penetrating sealer that is tinted to match your desired color, if necessary.
Tips and tricks for maintaining your clean brick patio:
- Regularly power wash your brick patio to prevent any major issues with staining, erosion due to weathering, or build-up.
- Stain your brick patio about 30 days after using a power washer on it to prevent any issues with staining the bricks.
- Apply a mist coat of penetrating sealer that’s tinted to match your desired color if necessary, but you may need to wait another 30 days before doing so after power washing.
- Keep a safe distance from the power washer, as it can be dangerous if you get too close.
- Be sure to wear protective gear when power washing your brick patio or any other outside surfaces due to the high pressure of a pressure washer.
- Be sure to have a qualified professional power wash your brick patio if you aren’t experienced with using a pressure washer.
If you are looking to have your brick patio power washed, it is important to find a qualified professional to do the job. They will have the experience and knowledge necessary to get the job done correctly and safely.